January 29, 2020
What does Arachnys do?
- The primary purpose of Arachnys is to facilitate and support users in researching and evidencing information for due diligence purposes. Arachnys acts as an agent for users and supports research requests. Users are responsible for adhering to any licensing restrictions of any information source, with Arachnys simply providing a mechanism by which to collect appropriate information.
- As part of the broader Arachnys service, Arachnys has built technology that supports licensed Arachnys users in assembling information from web pages as text, images, or other media, subject to licensing and use restrictions. Information is extracted manually or automatically to a form that the extension renders.
What information does Arachnys collect and how is it used?
- Images of websites that users view are saved as screenshots and are preserved as a type of evidence that links the data points in the form to the original source.
- The source information, the screenshots, and the data points are all sent to the Arachnys platform where users can use them to build profiles and investigative reports on persons or companies.
- Portions of documents can be shared with approved third party services to aid in automated data extraction and document transformation. All extracted information is then parsed into the same form mentioned above. Consistent with other data entered into the form, data extracted from documents within the Arachnys platform is to be used by users for building reports on entities they are investigating.
- Programming errors (“bugs”) that occur in the extension are captured and sent to our application so we are able to provide “bug fixes” and ensure our app functions correctly.
- The extension stores information locally on the user’s machine including data that the user has input in other parts of our platform and data they have entered into the extension’s UI. This data is used to provide functionality like saving work in progress. All locally stored data is deleted at the end of each use’s research session.
- The extension uses the web request permission to obtain information on web requests, but this data is only used for making immediate decisions in the extension (like redirecting to our PDF viewer). Web request data is not stored anywhere in our application.
- HTTP logs for requests made from the extension to our application servers are stored for monitoring and debugging purposes.
Sharing information with third parties
- Arachnys acts as an agent for users and supports research requests.
- Arachnys is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS), which is considered an approved third party.
- Users are responsible for adhering to any licensing restrictions of any information source or approved third party, with Arachnys simply providing a mechanism by which to collect appropriate information.
- Therefore, information is only shared with 3rd parties with the express agreement of our clients and for the purposes of improving the capabilities of our platform.
- The Arachnys chrome extension does not capture any more licensed user data than does the overall Arachnys platform.
Offer users the opportunity to opt out of data collecting/processing
As part of contracts, clients acknowledge and agree to Arachnys handling data required to facilitate the service. Arachnys will not collect any more personal information than strictly necessary to facilitate the service.